Friday 3 June 2011

Smile

Well I'm feeling pretty happy today which is a change considering my last post.

The sun is shining in the good old UK, the swallows are swooping around like crazy outside my window, got wicked music playing (always gotta hear good music otherwise i get sad :( ) and im off to meet one of my best friend with her gorgeous baby.

Also I've just found out that im in my local newspaper which is scary but i'm pleased. I'm doing race for life (Charity run for Cancer Research UK if none of you know what that is) and i'm excited about it. I should probably be training more than blogging but i can do both :D I'd really appreciate if any of you could sponsor me. Just click on the badge on my page.

Anyway the point of my blog (yes there is one). I'm actually (contradictory to my last blog) a happy person and I always try and smile even if im feeling crappy or upset because you never know what the other person may be going through. Anyway because i smile all the time, strangers are my favorite, I have noticed that less and less people smile back or i get the 'Oh my god someone is smiling at me. Why? quick do something *insert fearful smile back*' and off i skip after freaking someone out. But why is this. Why are less and less people comfortable performing this sign of peace and happiness?
Now I live about an hours train journey away from london and i avoid it like the plague (unfortunately i have university there so i have to go a lot). Why avoid this buzzing metropolitan city? The people. Something changes once your in london and live in london. I have lived in London and its true because it happened to me and i was so scared of the person i became that promised i would never become that again.
 
We are familiar with this sight. This is from Japan where people are literally squeezed and pushed into the trains by porters. now im not saying that london is this bad because it's not but the combination of overcrowding, rude passengers and general people makes me hate london. 
I have had many experiences including once when i man was so desperate to get a seat on the tube before me and my flat mate that he barged past me and my flat mate sending her flying. After almost sitting on his lap and him shouting at me for standing too close that he couldnt read his damn paper i 'calmly' told him to apologizes to my friend and then i would move.
Another is after i had held a door for someone to walk through someone else barged past me and swung the door back in my face causing a rather sore and red nose on my part :(
(you get my point)
What happened to common manners?

Smile to everyone. You never know when you'll save a life.

3 comments:

  1. I don't miss that about London either, it does change you doesn't it? While Perth people aren't awesome in this respect either it's nowhere near as bad.All the best with your run x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It defiantly changes you because after being pushed around day after day and having doors literally slammed in your face you start to think 'why should i bother being nice to people when others aren't to me. Its a sad world we live in. Thank you Sarah. I've just had some mini business cards printed from moo.com and they are sooo cute. they have my just give page on so i've been giving them to people to hopefully raise some more sponsorship.
    I will be keeping everyone updated :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way with New York City. I have a love and hate relationship because of the people here. Some days are positive when people do greet each other and smile but there are days when there's constant rudeness on the buses and subways. And I like how you close it with the life you saved myself their own. And its true, but I do know what keeps a smile on my face and that's music! Stop by my blog, it'll keep a smile on your face.

    Keep smiling, no matter what :-)

    ReplyDelete