Thursday 23 June 2011

Me and my big fitness (or lack there of)

Hello Bloggers


I haven't been around much recently due to some extreme work schedule's and complete lack of personal time but here i am and hopefully with more puzaz/spunk and less aggression (sorry for anyone offended by my 'down with London' AKA Smile post).




As some of you may know I'm training to do Race For Life where you do a charity race (ironic i know) to raise money for Cancer Research UK. 
Sponsor me here


This is a really personal goal for me for many reasons including my boyfriend's mother (we shall call her the mum in law to make it simpler or MIL) being diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer nearly 2 years ago. She's had a mastectomy where they removed the breast in an attempt to stop the cancerous tissues spreading further, radio therapy and chemo therapy. Not long after she had completed her bout of treatment we were struck by more bad news. The cancer had spread to her brain. It had caused cluster tumors in and around the surface of the brain giving her a predicted life span of 2 years maximum. A few months after this devastating blow she was placed in a trial for a new type of procedure which was called Cyberknife. In lay mans terms it fires a very accurate laser into areas that normally are inoperable. This laser is so accurate it re-calibrates to movement due to breathing. Its amazing but even though the NHS had bought 3 of these machines they are not going to be used unless you are a private patient!!!!!! stupid or what?!
MIL is now (so we have been told) cancer free so far so fingers crossed guys.


Any way I'm not on here to rant about the stupidness of paper pushing politicians or management. I'm here to tell a bit of my story. So yes this would be enough to give me motivation to do something but there is more to this meer person than at first it seems.


8 years ago i was 13. I had my whole life out ahead of me and long summers of youth filled enjoyment ahead of me. I was visiting my Aunt in sunny Barry, Wales and i was staying with her to 2 weeks. One was to be spent in Barry and the other was to partially spent at Disney Land Paris. This was amazing, i was out of the country, away from my parents and doing something that no one else in my family had done. 




When we came back i thought i had a bit of a cold (as it had rained quite a bit, not that it had spoiled it) so i started going to bed early, and when i came back home it got worse. It was the end of the easter holidays and i went to school for 1 day and i wasn't able to get out of bed for 5 weeks. Everything hurt and when i tried to walk it was like wearing lead trousers whilst walking through treacle. Everything was difficult to do and i found it harder and harder to do anything. Desperate to find out what was wrong with me my parents took me to the doctors. I was, as i found out much later, one of the lucky ones. After what felt like a billion blood tests i was given the news. I had M.E. Some of you may not have heard of it or if you have you may think its a joke. People just being lazy. Well i can tell you it's not. Its Agony. 
Going from a tree climbing, happy, bouncy, fun loving pre teen to someone who needed carrying up the stairs and having to be washed, dressed and fed by someone else. Not a pretty picture. For 3 years I was wheelchair and bed bound. I lost all but 2 of my friends who even pushed me around in my wheelchair in some of my dark times. But i got help (not that the medical profession helped at all apart from making me worse and giving me anti-depressants that the side effects were of suicide) and i started getting better. At this point i was 16. I'd missed all my exams and all my friends were thinking about their A levels and i didn't have a GCSE to my name. I went to college for 3 years where i met the love of my life Richard.



We are happy and have been together for 5 years. And its that reason that i want to run this. I've been put down, had people give up on me, call me a waste of space, given up on my ability to cope and looked back and gone....Wow.
I want to do that again. I want, after I've crossed that finish line to go....Wow. look at what I've just done. I did that. I'm amazing. 
Because we are. We are amazing. And so are You.
Yes You. Reading right now. 
You Are Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment